Whatever your holiday needs, there is bound to something somewhere on the internet to make things easier for you. Here are our favourite apps for planning a holiday at our fingertips, even after we have left home.
- Our very own Flexi Club app, available for Android and iPhone, is great for last minute deals on your favourite resorts, creating personalised flexi grams to share your holiday snaps with family and friends, look up nearby resorts for that extra night’s accommodation, or contact us for bookings or queries, wherever you may roam.
- If you love exploring then Go!Travel South Africa is perfect for you. This app makes planning your days activities a breeze, with over 250 000 points of interest such as restaurants, nature reserves and landmarks to explore. Go!Travel South Africa is available for Android and iOS.
- The Awesome South Africa app is endorsed by SA Tourism and offers a similar functionality with the added bonus of seeking out any specials, events and promotions wherever you find yourself in the country. This app is compatible with Android0 and up; and requires iOS 6.0 and later.
- If you are you taking to the city on your next holiday, get Tourism Radio City guide on your phone or tablet for a running commentary on over 1 500 points of interest. As you approach a worthy landmark, the app automatically plays audio information on the history, culture, geography and activities of the relevant site, saving you hours of research and adding interest to your trip. The Tourism Radio City Guides app is available for Android and iOS.
- Hitting the bush? Show off your knowledge of all things safari with the eGuide to mammals of South Africa, which provides information at your fingertips on over 350 species including animal sounds, videos and a personal record of your sightings. Get it from iTunes or Google play.
- It’s hard to tell where we would be without Google Maps. Download the one app you don’t want to leave home without for iPhone and Android and get detailed accurate maps for over 200 countries, complete with GPS navigation for cycling, walking and driving as well as up-to-the-minute traffic conditions.
- We all have the Instagram and Facebook apps already, and are always looking for cool things to share with our friends and followers. Hyperlapse, for iPhone users and Framelapse for those on Android creates exciting time-lapse videos at the click of a button and allows you to share your masterpieces on social media.
- While we are on the subject of social media, there’s no point in visiting important tourist sites without taking a selfie or two to share on your page. A selfie stick is a must for effortless captures and proof that you really were there. If your visit happens to coincide with a bad hair day, never fear – there’s an app for that too. Several image editors are available for download here, and here.