Here are our top picks of things to do with children while staying on the Garden Route:
- Located right on the Knysna Lagoon, Bollard Bay is a fun destination for a family day out, with canoeing, safe swimming and a resident Cape Fur seal who will enchant the younger set in no time.
- Adventureland, located between Knysna and Plettenberg Bay, is a slippery treat with super tubes and slides for all ages to enjoy along with swings, jungle gyms and trampolines.
- Kiddie-friendly farm stalls abound in this area, namely Timberlake near Sedgefield, The Heath between Knysna and Plettenberg Bay, Nature’s Valley Farm Stall and The Mill in The Crags. These venues offer secret gardens to explore, mini zip lines and playgrounds, as well as the chance to milk a real live cow, while mum and dad can enjoy a quiet cuppa, a meal or browsing in the stalls.
- Puzzle Park in Plettenberg Bay provides hours of fun with unique activities such as a 3-D maze and a puzzling forest walk near The Crags.
- Ocean Safaris, also in Plett, offers a range of family-friendly boat cruises to suit all ages, where you can view dolphins and whales up close.
- The well-known sanctuaries of Birds of Eden and Monkeyland, near Plettenberg Bay, are a must-see attraction for children where they can view unusual exotic species and learn more about nature conservation.
- Knysna’s Thesen Island is a great venue for the whole family to enjoy. A large play area with swings and slides will keep children busy in full view of mom and dad while they enjoy a meal or a drink at one of the onsite restaurants.
- Strawberry picking at Red Berry Farm near George is a wonderfully fun outdoor excursion. Activities are priced from just R15 and include a mini train, pony rides, bumper and paddle boats and a hedge maze for the youngsters to enjoy while enjoying the tea garden or a browse through the curio shop.
- The Cango Wildlife Ranch in Oudtshoorn, while a little off the beaten track, is well worth the two hour drive, with a petting zoo, snake park and a rickety suspension bridge to explore – great fun for the youngsters!
- While you are in the area, don’t miss a chance to explore the world-famous Cango Caves, which are some of the largest limestone caverns in the world – fascinating for inquisitive young minds.
Our Garden Route accommodation is carefully placed to put you at the heart of all the child-friendly action on the Garden Route.