There is no comfort food like a hearty bowl of soup enjoyed with a drizzle of cream, or some crusty home-made bread. Winter is still upon us and so we thought it would be a good idea to serve up some delicious soup recipes sent in by some of our Vacation Zone followers to help you through these last days. Prepare to be comforted…
CHICKEN AND CORN SOUP
– Denise Nefdt
- 250g chicken breast cubed
- 410g sweetcorn
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cornflour (maizena)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 10ml white pepper
- 5ml salt
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 200g fresh cream
- 10ml butter/ margarine
- Braise chicken with onion over moderate heat for 5min.
- Add sweetcorn, milk, water and spices.
- Combine cornflour with a little water to make a thin paste. Pour into soup and stir until it has thickened.
- Add chopped celery and bring to boil for 5min.
ROASTED RED PEPPER AND TOMATO SOUP
– Ros Millar
- 2 Red Peppers halved and de seeded
- 500 grams Ripe Tomatoes halved
- 1 red onion quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 10mls Fresh Ginger grated
- 30mls Fresh Coriander chopped
- 10mls Fresh Basil chopped
- 500mls Tomato Juice
- 250mls Plain Yogurt
- Seasoning and chives for garnishing
- Place peppers tomato onion and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and roast turning regularly in a pre-heated oven at 200|C until peppers and tomatoes blister and onion and garlic are golden.
- Place Peppers and tomatoes in plastic blow and seal with plastic wrap for a few minutes. (This will help peppers and tomatoes to peal easily.
- Leave for about 10 Minutes to cool and then peel.
- Combine tomatoes and peppers together plus the juice from the pan and the ginger and blend together until smooth.
- Add the onion and garlic, coriander basil and tomatoes juice and the 200mls yogurt and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and chill for about an hour or overnight. Serve with chives and a dollop of Crème fraiche.
EASY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP – Rashika Harrypursad Harduth
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Chop butternut squash, onion and potatoes into cubes.
- Warm a large pot and add in olive oil. Add in onions and cook till soft.
- Then, add in potatoes and squash. Cook for a minute or so.
- Add in vegetable stock and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or until potatoes and squash are soft.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. If too thick, add a bit of water.
- Season with salt and pepper.