Sodwana Bay is hailed as one of the top five dive sites in South Africa. Is it any wonder with its endless stretch of coral reefs, clear visibility and protected marine life? Found approximately 5 hours from Durban, and just 1 hour away from Kosi Bay, Sodwana Bay Lodge is the definitive spot from which to enjoy a dive holiday, no matter your skill level.
The balmy, year-round weather, lush, green surrounding forest and warm, salty breeze will transport you to a place of endless summer. Whenever you choose to visit Sodwana Bay, you can be almost 100% guaranteed of long beach days and clear dive visibility. Situated between Sodwana Bay and Kosi Bay, Mabibi is one of the best spots for a day in the deep. With only two boats launching in this area it is pure, unspoiled and exclusive diving at its best.
Other than the superb diving, here are a few other ways to spend your time when staying on the North Coast of KwaZulu-Natal:
- Leatherback and Loggerhead turtle hatchings from October to February.
- Visit the local cashew nut factory on the Coastal Forrest Road.
- Visit Musi Pans for quality bird watching and hippo sightings.
- Travel to Lake Sibaya – the largest freshwater lake in southern Africa. It is best to take a 4×4 or a bakkie with diff lock to this beautiful area.
- Snorkelling for those who prefer shallower waters.
- Surf and fly-fishing are amongst the best on the east coast of South Africa. Fishing is on a catch and release basis.
- Drives in open 4×4 vehicles to Black Rock and other localities offer great views of the spectacular reserve with excellent birding.