- 750g small, cleaned Calamari hoods
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- Canola oil, for deep-frying
- Line baking tray with baking paper. Cut calamari into 1cm- thick rings. Place flour, and salt and pepper, into a bowl. Beat eggs and water in another bowl. Place breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
- Coat calamari rings in flour, a few at a time. Dip into egg mixture then coat with breadcrumbs. Press breadcrumbs on with fingertips. Place onto lined baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Pour oil into a deep, heavy-based saucepan or work until it is one-third full. Heat over medium – high heat. Cook calamari rings, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light golden.
- Remove calamari to a wire rack over a lined baking tray. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining calamari.