Situated in the North of South Africa, North West is located on the border of Botswana, fringed by the mystical Kalahari desert in the west, Gauteng province in the East and the Free State to the South.
From untamed wilderness to the sophistication of exquisite resorts, The North West Province provides the complete tourism package. Nature has done nothing less than bless this picturesque province with infinite scenic beauty, rolling fields of maize, fields scattered with blooming sunflowers and vast plains of African bushveld.
Away from the hustle and bustle of modern day life, the North West is certainly a destination both diverse and enticing and definitely one for the bucket list. It offers the tourist a host of historical, cultural and scenic splendours. From majestic game parks, pristine golf courses, excellent water sport features and superb sporting facilities, this province is a blend of modern living and an escape route to the idyllic Africa.
With its vast expanses of bushveld wilderness and the internationally acclaimed game parks that are roamed by an abundance of wildlife, The North west is a popular destination for nature and wildlife enthusiasts
The North West Province also features two tourists routes namely the Heritage Route and the Treasure Route. These link all the major attractions for visitors. The Heritage Route includes part of the Hartebeesport Dam, the Magaliesberg Mountain Range, Sun City Resort. The Treasure Route takes one on a journey through all the major mining regions of the Province, as well as the Vredefort Dome, one of South Africa’s World Heritage Sites.
Discover the abundant amount of possibilities that the North West Province offer from:
- Day and night game drives or game safaris in Big 5 territory with an experienced guide.
- Hot air ballooning over Pilanseberg National Park or Hartebeesport Dam.
- Exploring the Vredefort Dome, the largest and oldest meteorite impact site on Earth.
- Canoeing, white-water rafting, rock climbing or hiking at the Dome’s Bergland Conservancy.
- Paragliding or hang-gliding at Hartbeespoort Dam
- Power-boat racing at Klerksdorp, Potchefstroom or Hartbeespoort.
- Golfing at Magalies Park
- Visiting cultural villages, arts and craft centres.
- Bird-watching at any number of venues. Barberspan Bird Sanctuary is one of the best in Africa.
- Visiting the Taung Heritage Site – the site where a child’s skull was discovered that advanced the evidence of humankind in Africa by millions of years.
- Cultural tourism – go back in time in the museums at Mahikeng, Potchefstroom or Christiana, to name but a few
- Tour a gold mine in Klerksdorp
- Enjoy a relaxing day at the Cellu-beauty Spa at Magalies Park.
- Try your hand at fishing at Hartebeesport Dam.